Sunday, September 21, 2008

Catching up...who wants to have stupid babies anyway...

I have/had a heart defect. I was born with a hole in my heart, very small, not a big deal so they told me most of my life. A VSD (ventricular septal defect-hole through septum between ventricles and placed near tricuspid valve). When I was 19 I got very sick, almost died from a blood infection that went to my heart, lungs, kidneys, etc...was called bacterial endocarditis. ICU for a week IV antibiotics for 6 weeks and good as "New". Some damage was done to the tricuspid valve which caused it to basically just not work. It's a little leaflet that's supposed to open and close so blood doesn't flow back into upper chamber of your heart, mine was flapping in the breeze and letting the blood flow. So the upper right chamber of my heart-the atrium-has become increasingly larger over the last 11 or so years, and has caused a lot of arrhythmia's, 2 of which landed me in the hospital with a shock procedure to get me back in to a 'normal for me' rhythm. Both of these were in the last year. After the second one the Doc's decided open heart surgery was the best bet. AACK! So after lots of therapy and time off from work to soak all this in I had surgery August 22. They closed the hole, fixed the valve, and tried to reroute some of the electrical work to cut down on arrhythmia's. Seems to have gone well so far. Doc's and nurses alike are pleased and surprised at my speedy recovery. I wish the emotional recovery were as easy. I complain a lot about pain I"m having now from an old shoulder injury that has gotten a lot worse since the surgery-and the pain is pretty ridiculous, but the strain on my marriage from the move to my MIL's house (which is happening this coming weekend) and having to recover from the surgery and now my shoulder and I'm just lost. I'm done.

4 comments:

Cristin said...

Babies are stupid, they ruin everything, and they smell bad.

only a movie said...

I agree. Hey there, you!! How are you??? I left you a message the other day...

only a movie said...

Oh, and {{{{{{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

crone51 said...

I agree with that Cristin person up there-they're overrated. Plus, do you really want to bring someone into a reality that includes *middle school*? Think about it.