Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Ok 'only a movie' maybe it's not a coincidence...

So I've been unpacking furiously, going through old trinkets and whatnot, making a garage sale pile and a garbage pile, trying to decide what is not quite sentimental enough to keep. I love to get rid of stuff, clears my head. So, when I was growing up there was an old lady who lived across the street from me. Her name was Viola. When I was five (on my fifth birthday because my parents said I couldn't visit her alone til I was five and I was anxious to do so) I went to visit her with my then BFF Tigger (yes Tigger and Muffy were best friends-couple stories there too). Anyway, I visited her after school almost everyday until I was 13 or so (she was nice, she gave me cookies, watched cartoons with me, played games, played dress-up, and I drew her pictures that she would hang on the door in her kitchen), then it dwindled down to once or twice a week. She celebrated every birthday and holiday with me and my family, she only had a couple nieces that barely visited her. She never got married, never had kids, never moved out of the house she'd lived in since she was 2. She was always giving me little gifts and trinkets, most of them very old lady, but very sweet. She had promised I could have some of her junk jewelry I played with when I was little. She was diagnosed with cancer(I think ovarian), her worst fear. I was 12 she was about 75. She went into remission for a few years and then it came back and she passed away when I was 17. Looking through my things I found my journal entry from the day she died. Wasn't much. Apparently it took me a while to cry. My parents were not supportive. They didn't even tell me about the wake and made me go to school after the funeral. I've always resented them for that. They asked me that morning why I wasn't wearing my school uniform, I don't even think I answered them. They must have thought I'd outgrown her. She was one of the best friends I'd ever had. I could tell her anything. Her nieces sold all of her stuff at a yard sale that my parents also didn't tell me about. The nieces left me with a couple of crewel work wall hangings they had made for her and had hung in her living room. They hang in my kitchen. I've slowly gotten rid of the little trinkets she'd given me. Yesterday I came across a little plaque with a saying about best friends, the little rose on it was all broken, I decided to toss it. In the same box was her key chain, I don't know how I ended up with it. It was a little leather wallet that had probably been her brother Abe's. On it was her house key and an orange plastic tag shaped key ring from the dry cleaners she used to go to. It said 'Live, Love, Laugh'. I loved it, I only ever kept it because of that little saying. Now the letters have all worn off, the sentimentality worn off, so I put it in the little box with the broken plaque and put it in the garbage pile.
Today I got a 'Piece of Flair' on Facebook from my therapist. It said 'Live,Love,Laugh' with a little star.

5 comments:

only a movie said...

Interesting. Sometimes a coincidence like that would be how a dead person says hello?

Cool story.

Cristin said...

Hi Viola!!!

Remember when she spilled red wine on the rug in the living room during one of her holiday visits?? Mom was so pissed...

only a movie said...

I totally remember when she spilled the wine!!

On the rug full of dog pee. Like wine was a problem.

StarbuckBitch said...

i have no memory of that whatsoever

Anonymous said...

Good day Guys

Are there any Blu-Ray/dvd

combo players?
I understand there are actually dvd/vcr players. Are there any players which play both of them dvd as well as blu-rays that I can obtain rather than purchasing two different players?

Thanks a lot !